Thursday, August 4, 2011

Monster IV & A Vinyl Shot

As part of the initial idea I had for the Five Hour Energy Syringe I wanted to put a Monster can on an IV (ordered the IV with the syringe from, you guessed it, Amazon). Why? It's the same idea of mocking energy drinks and people's dependency on them. Monster also seems to be one of the most popular ones, and it comes in an awesome three serving can with a screw cap that made it ideal for this shot. I cannot bear the smell, yet alone the taste of these, so it's a mystery to me how some people can chug down a whole bottle in a day or less. Perhaps this is an alternative...

I drilled a hole in the cap for the IV drip and sealed it off with hot glue from the inside. Unfortunately, I didn't seal it off enough since it was dripping during the shoot, which made it very hard to get everything arranged, clean off the black foamboard, and take a photo before more Monster dripped down. I drilled two more small holes in the sides of the can near the bottom where I threaded through clear fishing line to hold it up. Finally, I drilled out a whole in the bottom where I could pour in some Monster after it was all set up to let it flow into the IV drip.

Here's the setup:


Strobist: Sunpak 333 at full power on stand with shoot throw white umbrella to left, Sunpak 333 at half (or full? Don't remember) power with stand and an index card for a bouncer to right. 1/160, 200ISO, f/10. The camera sat on a tripod beyond the bottom left of this frame, and my mother was kind enough to hold up the Monster can while I fiddled with things.

It took a while to get the exposure right and eliminate any shadows; here's what it looked like before I added the liquid.


And the shot once I figured out how an IV drip works. [on Flickr]

036

And since three times the normal serving of Monster isn't always enough... [on Flickr]

038

On an unrelated note, I received my copy of Mellowhype's Blackenedwhite on vinyl. Much to my delight, it was clear.

046

Not the best shot, but I liked the composition.

All photos on this blog that are not on Flickr and as a result do not have a specified license are "All Rights Reserved." Please contact me for use - as you can imagine, I'm usually fine with bloggers using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment