Sunday, July 10, 2011

Water Balloons

With not much else to shoot, I've been thinking of things that I can do at home in more studio like setup, specifically high speed shots. And what is easier (well, in principle) than shooting airsoft BB's through water balloons?

These were shot outside with the balloons hanging on a piece of clear fishing line from our gazebo. Nikon D60 on tripod and a Sunpak 333 @ 1/16 level with the balloon and on the right side of the camera. No flash trip sensors - just a knockoff infrared remote and good timing. Now that I have a hang of these shots, I'll add a second flash and stop it down to about f/16 to get everything a bit more in focus and try things like coloring the water. I'll also try to zoom in more (wasn't sure the kind of shots I would get and didn't want to miss anything.)

I was too far away on this shot with the airsoft pistol and the BB only pierced the balloon, spraying water over everything, including me. You can see the BB inside the balloon (the small yellow thing).

012

This time the BB popped the balloon but I only caught the initial entry. You can also see the BB on this shot.

034

And finally, the best shot and the closest one to what I was looking for. The BB is not in this shot (not that I really wanted it to be) but you can follow the water trail behind it.

UPDATE: I just noticed that you can see the BB at the very bottom of where the balloon was. It must have bounced back into the balloon.

032

No comments:

Post a Comment